Home » History » Landmarks

Landmarks

The Grange is a gently rolling suburb, and lacks both the historic monuments of central Edinburgh, and the grand geography of Arthur’s Seat or Calton Hill. But it sits to the north of Blackford Hill, an amenity to many residents. And as well as one or two small monuments, there are both institutions and green spaces of real local importance.The Wyverns are gryphon-like creatures who decorated the gateposts of Grange House. With the demolition of Grange House, and building of Grange Crescent, the Wyverns were moved to new spots, but are both still to be found on the stretch of Grange Loan between Lauder Road and Lovers Loan.

Another monument that has changed over time—but hardly moved—is the Penny Well in Grange Loan. It is the only one of several local wells whose location is still obviously marked.The Library in Fountainhall Road is just down the hill from the Penny Well, and this important local institution was built the site of a church whose congregation united with North Mayfield in 1958 (see “Churches” for more on the Churches of the area).The Grange (or Southern) Cemetery lies to the north of the area, on Grange Road, between Lovers Loan and Kilgraston Road. It contains the graves and tombs of many local residents, including two murdered by Dr Pritchard (see section 1). It is a peaceful place, with attractive trees. Standing at the top of the area’s gentle sothward slope, it has impressive views to both Arthur’s Seat and Blackford Hill.

At the southern side of the Grange lie the grounds of the Astley Ainslie Hospital, and this provides another green, wooded space, essential to the character of the area. In this section, the Astley Ainslie is remembered as it was around the time of second world war, by Mary Cunningham, daughter of the first Medical Superintendent.

One green space that has been lost—the Mortonhall Road allotments—are here described, as they were before they were developed.

A final important green landmark of the area is remembered by Alun Davies,
(see Carlton Cricket Club in Elsa Hendry’s book).

Newington
Library

The
Penny Well

Penny
Well Specification 1887

The
well found on Seton Place, in 2002

Grange
Cemetery

Astley
Ainslie Hospital

Mortonhall
Road Allotments


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

Pages