This application https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=relatedCases&keyVal=N572CIEW0GY00 is for a two storey building to replace an existing garage.
This second application is for extension of consent 11/01625/FUL above.
The GA committee considers it inappropriate and has sent in the following objection:
We wish to object, firstly to the very poor quality of application 11/01625/FUL which gives no elevation to show the proposed building in context with the grade B listed main house or the B listed neighbour. We also feel the application is unhelpful in that it gives no measurements or means of assessing accurately the size of the proposal.
• We commend the idea of replacing a flat-roofed garage set forward from the building line with one with a slate roof set at the building line.
• However, we wish to object to the size and height of the proposal. The existing garage is very wide as would be the new one and replacing it with a two storey building would produce a structure which would be far too prominent. This is already a congested area and the large garage would break the separation between the houses which is a valued feature of the area, highlighted in the new Grange CACA.
• This part of Mansionhouse Road is already rather dark and the proposal would block light, adding to this problem.
• Lack of information means there is no way one can assess the effect the garage would have on sunlight to 28 Mansionhouse Road. Being situated due south of the neighbour and on the boundary line, it is likely the structure would breach sunlight guidelines.
• The Juliet balcony at the rear of the building would be out of place in this conservation area. (see decision on 14/00099/FUL for a Juliet balcony). Lack of information means it is not possible to assess whether this balcony would intrude on neighbours’ privacy.